Simple Meal Prep Recipe: Crockpot Pulled Chicken
A classic for anyone’s meal prep menu. This pulled chicken is an ideal protein for any of your meal preps. This week I kept it simple with sweet potatoes and broccoli. Again, the crockpot is such a good time saver for bulk cooking! Plus, it keeps the chicken juicy & delicious all week in the fridge. Recipe below – enjoy!
- 2lbs chicken breast
(option to do half breast half thigh)
- 1 medium yellow onion (sliced or finely chopped)
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoon avocado oil
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Your preference on some chili powder (1/2 - 1 teaspoon)
- Medium/Large sweet potatoes
- 8-10 servings of broccoli
Here’s what to do:
1. Mix all the ingredients directly in the crockpot
a. Start with the wet ingredients, add tomato paste, chicken & seasoning
2. Stir to cover all the chicken with the ‘marinade’
3. Set the crockpot to LOW for 5 hours
a. Highly suggest cooking on low, but can cook on high for 3 hours if in a time crunch
4. After 5 hours pull the chicken apart using two forks, mix together & let sit in its juices.
Time to prepare the sides while the chicken cooks!
1. Pre-heat the oven to 420°
2. Wash then cut the sweet potatoes in half (long way)
3. Lightly drizzle with avocado oil & salt
4. Place face down on baking sheet
5. Cook for about 22min
1. Wash & trim broccoli
2. Drizzle avocado oil then season with salt, pepper, paprika directly on the baking sheet
3. Bake (on 420°) for about 10min
Set out your glass containers & pack when everything is done!
- 6oz of pulled chicken
- 1 cup sweet potatoes
- 1 cup broccoli
I use this pulled chicken once or twice per month for different meal preps. Try it with pasta & veggies or with sweet potatoes & broccoli like I did this week. This one is a good reminder that our meal preps do not need to be fancy. They are fueling us with nutritious calories all week. Sometimes simple is better when it comes to prepping food for an entire week. Way to get it in!