Simple Meal Prep: Pulled Flank Steak
Its tough to create a juicy steak meal prep that lasts all week in the fridge. Most leftover steak is not delicious, especially when they are microwaved leftovers. Ive been prepping my meals for years & finally found a simple & delicious steak prep.
Over the years I have built a few staple menu items for my meal prep. The idea is to create meals that are nutritious, affordable, and delicious...while also considering how to efficiently cook it as part of a larger prep for the week.
I was inspired after having the “Vaca Frita” (pulled flank steak) from Sabor De Cuba in downtown Frederick, MD. Finally, I had a steak meal prep that was nutritious, delicious, and lasted 7 days in my fridge.
Here’s how I prepare this entire meal including ingredients, recipe, and ‘order of operations’ for cooking the entire meal.
My first tip is to cook the steak in the crock pot. First, that’s just the best way to slow cook the steak so it pulls apart. It also allows you to prep the steak, start the crockpot, then move on to the rest of your cooking.
Main Dish: Pulled flank steak
Side: One cup rice
Side: One cup broccoli
Pulled Flank Steak: About (8) 4oz servings
· 2lb flank steak
· Drizzle avocado oil in the crock pot
· 1/3 cup water
· 1/3 cup sliced red onion
· ½ tablespoon cumin
· 1 teaspoon (up to 1 tablespoon) chili powder
· 2 tablespoon tomato paste
· Salt & pepper to taste
· Drizzle avocado oil in the crockpot then add the flank steak. Unroll the flank steak as much as possible and lay it flat.
· Add the rest of the ingredients (water, onion, cumin, chili powder, tomato paste, salt & pep).
· Stir the steak to completely cover.
· Highly recommend cooking on low for 6-8 hours. (if you’re short on time you can cook on high for 4hrs).
Cooking tip: When the steak is about 85% done cooking, gently pull it apart using two forks, squeeze in some fresh lime juice, then stir & let cook the remainder of the time.
Time to prepare the rest of the meal while the steak cooks!
Side Dish: 8 servings broccoli (air fryer or oven baked)
· Wash and trim 8 servings of broccoli
· Pile onto baking sheet
· Drizzle avocado oil
· Season with salt & pepper
(option to add turmeric & paprika)
· Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes
Side Dish: 8 servings rice & black beans
· Cook the rice.
o we use rice packets for a convenient fresh option
· Cook two cans of black beans on the stove top.
o empty the cans directly into the pot. Cook on medium-high. Stir occasionally. Once beans are boiling, lower the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
At this point:
All the side dishes are done & the steak is still cooking. This is when I layout all my meal prep containers. I prefer & suggest using glass containers. Microwaving food isn’t the BEST, but microwaving plastic is a no for me.
Inside of each container:
· One-cup of broccoli
· ¾-1 cup of rice (or have your rice packets ready)
· 1/3 cup of beans
· When finished add 4oz of pulled flank steak
Its such a simple prep for some great meals all week. This recipe can easily be switched up by changing to a pulled chicken or pork, changing the vegetable, etc. Try it and let me know what you think!